There’s nothing like enjoying a cold beverage and food fresh off the grill on a hot summer day. However, it’s frustrating to spend time cooking and get poor results. It’s disappointing to bite into a big burger, only to find that the meat is tough and dry.
If you end up with dry burgers, you need to try this simple fix at your next barbecue! According to Top Chef judge Graham Elliot, though, you can prevent this with a weird but simple hack.
Making huge hamburger patties means the meat takes longer than usual to cook, which sometimes causes the meat to dry out before the patty is finished cooking.
To prevent this, place your patties on the grill as usual, but press an ice cube—yes, an ice cube—into the center of the patty once it’s on the grill. The heat from the grill melts the ice cube, which keeps the meat nice and moist as the burger cooks.
Once your patties are cooked, remove them from the grill and let them rest for 5 minutes before serving. This is another technique that helps the meat retain its juices. After the meat has rested, you’re all set to enjoy your delicious, juicy burger!
If you’re craving a hamburger but don’t have the time to make one, many hamburger restaurants offer discounts to senior customers. Customers can get these discounts at many fast food and casual dining restaurants. Discounts vary by restaurant and location, so simply ask and enjoy your savings!
Our top picks for burger savings:
- A&W: 10% discount for seniors 60 and older. Some offer further discounts on drinks.
- Backyard Burgers: Get a free drink
- Bennigan’s: Seniors over 60 can save, varies by location
- Burger King: Seniors 60 and older receive a 10% discount; some Burger King restaurants may offer further discounts.
- Country Kitchen: Save when you order from the senior menu (55+), varies by location
- Fuddrucker’s: Senior platters offered at 10% discount
- Hardee’s: Varies by location
- Jack in the Box: Some restaurants offer up to 20% off; varies by location
- McDonald’s: Seniors get discounted coffee, drinks
- Perkins: Seniors over 55 can enjoy Perkins’ senior menu
- Sizzler: Discounts for seniors older than 60 vary by location
- Sonic: Seniors receive 10% off their order and a free drink. (60+)
- Steak n’ Shake: 50+ seniors receive 10% off on Mondays and Tuesdays.
- Whataburger: Seniors older than 55 can enjoy a free drink
- White Castle: Guests over 62 receive 10% off their order.